Everyone at Trend Homes is a fan of Edmonton. Why, you ask?
Well, we’re happy to tell you that there’s not one simple answer. In fact, to be honest, there isn’t even a top 10. It’s pretty difficult to whittle our list down.
Edmonton is continually ranked as one of the top-three big cities to live in within Canada, and much to our delight, “The City of Champions” is currently situated in the top-25 of worldwide mid-size cities to call home. These honours are bestowed upon cities weighing on varying factors including income, employment, housing, crime, health care, culture, weather and demographics to determine best overall quality of life.
Edmonton’s economy and employment rate are among the very best in the world today and the city is rated by KPMG as having the most-competitive business environment in western North America.
Edmonton is now Canada’s second-largest centre for manufacturing and a world leader in numerous fields including biotechnology and biomedicine, nanotechnology and microsystems, and information/communications technology. To help support our pro-business environment, Edmonton has the amongst the lowest business taxes anywhere in North America.
Since Trend Homes is in the home-building business obviously our first thoughts turn towards buying a home, and Edmonton is ripe with flourishing communities. There are great values in every section of the city, but perhaps even more important are the incredible choices available. No matter what you’re looking for in a home, Edmonton – not to mention Trend Homes – has your desired location awaiting your arrival.
So you’ve found your new home, now what? Well, we suggest you explore Edmonton. Here’s our suggested areas of exploration.
* The River Valley – the North Saskatchewan River runs southwest to northeast through the city, and is the very heart of outdoor activity. Cycling and jogging trails abound, plus it’s a great way to take your four-legged friend out for a stroll.
* Schools – Edmonton’s public schools are among the best in the country, and Edmonton boasts prestigious centres of higher learning including the University of Alberta, MacEwan University, and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology.
* Health Care – Well-equipped medical clinics are in nearly every neighborhood in the city, and Edmonton has excellent hospitals including the highly regarded Stollery Children’s Hospital and Mazankowski Heart Institute at the University of Alberta.
* Arts & Culture – It doesn’t pop immediately into your mind, but it’s true that Edmonton features several wonderful sources particularly the Royal Alberta Museum, the Citadel Theatre, the Edmonton Symphony, and the Edmonton Opera. Edmonton’s Rexall Place, Shaw Conference Centre, and Jubliee Auditorium are among the busiest concert venues in the world catering to fans of country, rock, adult contemporary and everything in between.
* Festivals – The summer is loaded with fun festivals ranging from family fare like K-Days and the Street Performers Festival to more mature experiences like The Fringe and Taste of Edmonton.
* Sports – “The City of Champions” is one of North America’s top sports cities with teams like the world-renowned Oilers, the Eskimos, the Rush, FC Edmonton, and the U of A Bears basketball and volleyball. Edmonton routinely hosts major international events, while the city and its suburbs can boast numerous highly successful amateur club teams, many of which produce top talent for the pro ranks. The Greater Edmonton Area is also home to more than 70 public and private golf courses.
* Tourism – Edmonton is short drive to the world-famous Rocky Mountains and their national parks, whether it’s north to Jasper or south to Banff. Within the city, the world largest indoor attraction is the monumental West Edmonton Mall, while the Telus World of Science is a hotbed of knowledge and fun activities. You can also check out Lucy the Elephant and her friends at the Valley Zoo, and take a trip back in time at Fort Edmonton Park.
* Dining – Edmonton’s vast array of cultures means there’s no shortage of ethnic culinary delights spanning the globe. There are world-class, award-winning chefs in many of the city’s best eateries. World-famous Alberta beef dominates many menus in Edmonton, but there are tasty choices in every neighborhood.
* Eclectic Spots – Maps and tour books can’t tell every story. Some of the best locations in Edmonton don’t leap of the page because they’re best known by those who live here. We say you can’t miss checking out the Farmer’s Markets that boast homemade/homegrown delights year-round, the trendy and not-so-trendy bars, patios, and nightspots up and down Whyte Avenue, the amazing fireworks and waterfall during Canada Day festivities, the ever-changing Gallery District of 124th Street, the colorful displays of the Muttart Conservatory, special summertime visits to Hawrelak Park and Sir Winston Churchill Square, and the beauty and history of St. Joseph’s Basilica.